The #1 question people ask me is, what is the first thing they should do when making a change in their health and wellness. My response is, drink water like it’s your job! I know some of you are laughing right now, because I have said it to you. The reason why drinking water and staying hydrated is so important because, a simple google search will tell you, 75% of Americans are dehydrated. Say WHAT!!!! I know, it’s crazy. Pop, quiz time…how many oz have you drank today? Later on, I will provide some data and you can see where you fall on the, “ how am I doing”, with my hydration scale.
Now for some FACTS, about what happens to your body when you are dehydrated:
- Its affects your ability to think clearly
- Causes you feel sluggish and sleepy
- Your mood decreases
- Skin shows more wrinkles (who wants that)
- A level of 2% dehydration can result in around 20% decrease in physical performance and up to 40% in hotter temperatures
*Information found at www.urgentclinicsmedicalcare.com
I am sure at one time or another we have all experienced some or all of those symptoms.
So, what should my #watergoal be?
The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, as well as many other agencies, suggest aiming for 2.7 liters (91oz) for average women and 3.7 liters (125oz ) for the average man. If you workout hard for over and hour, are in a warm climate or breastfeeding, be sure to to bump up your ounces. Now back to the pop quiz you took earlier. How did you stack up to the recommendations? Its ok, it you did not get an A+, check out my tips below on how to meet your daily hydration goals
My top 5 tips for staying properly hydrated:
- Fill you water bottles with all the ounces you need for the day in the AM. This way you do not have to guess if you have had enough
- If you are active, purchase water with electrolytes in it or add them into your water
- Mix your morning smoothie with some organic coconut water. Coconut water naturally contains electrolytes
- Always have extra filled water bottles in your car, purse or at work, so you have it handy
- Last but not least…DRINK WATER LIKE IT IS YOUR JOB!
Your body will thank you for it!
If you have any questions about hydration, just let me know!
Shine Bright Today!